Wednesday, July 15, 2009

London Calling (Day 3)














We got home late again after Fabric, but were extremely happy with the night. Really cool building, lights, speakers, floors, and general atmosphere. The next morning though (June 14), I woke up early and took a train to Oxford to visit my friend Ana who goes to school there. I ended up getting to Oxford somewhere around noon, and wandered around the town for a while. The town actually has an old castle in it with a huge hill that sits above the town. I ended up hanging out up there for a while. Then, when Ana finally got out of her classes, we met up in the city and grabbed some lunch, toured around. The day was filled with informational knowledge about the inner workings of Oxford University, and random catch up time.














Later, after I left, I got back into the city and immediately went to meet back up with Sebastian and Sundeep. My other friend Tom, from high school, showed up too since he was home from vacationing that day. But we ended up going to the Absolut Ice Bar, a bar created by the Absolut alcohol company and the interior of which has a room made entirely out of ice. The chairs, pillars, walls, tables, and bar were all made out of ice. The floor was metal grating, so we wouldn’t slip. Walking through the door was like walking into a freezer room in Costco, there was a ton of mist, you could see your breath, and the room was freezing.


















They gave us these awesome ponchos to wear with fur lining, and we were toasty. Since I’d just come from 75 degree Oxford, I was in flip flops, and therefore slightly concerned for my feet.














The bar was awesome, the glasses made out of ice satisfied my perpetual quest for ice cold drinks in Europe. If I ever become a billionaire, I will definitely be opening my own ice bar, to satisfy my own needs. Anyway the bar had a list of customized drinks that Absolut creates with all of their own things, and we had a lot of fun exploring the bar and its ice-encased interior.














After the bar it was close to the end of our trip, and so we just went back to Sundeep’s room and hung out until it was time to begin our trip home. We had to catch a night bus from the nearest bus station to the main train station, and then take a train all the way out to the airport, where we had to wait for our flight back to Dusseldorf Weeze, take a bus back to Dusseldorf, and then a train back to Dortmund, where we caught the subway to our building. All in all, a lot of hassle to travel, but one of the most epic weekends ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment